Wondering how to speed up and fix GTA V Online loading time?
While this is an enormously popular game over the last several years, slow loading times have remained a constant irritation for players. There has been some improvement in this area, thanks in no small part to the work of one fan, whose own work identified a way to reduce loading times.
It was such an effective fix, that Rockstar actually implemented it in a patch (via PC Gamer). In some cases, this was knocking several minutes off the load times for the game. But is there anything else that players can do to help speed things up? We'll take a look at the best way to speed up and fix GTA V Online loading time.
How To Speed Up And Fix GTA V Online Loading Time
Unfortunately, long loading times are not going to be totally removed by anything that we can suggest. There will always be a certain amount of data to be transferred, and time is taken to find an appropriate online session. But there are a few tricks that people have claimed success with. These are as follows:
- Plenty of players have suggested that by entering story mode first, you can then enter online mode much faster. This was a tried and trusted method for players on PS4 and Xbox One, but the jury is out as to whether this will help on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.
- Another method that has reportedly worked for some players involves a trick that gets you into a solo public session. According to Reddit user Ryguy24452 (via Dexerto) you need to disconnect yourself from the internet just as the game begins searching for a session. By quickly reconnecting to the internet, you can apparently avoid long wait times.
- There are reports that solo sessions are no longer available, so this may no longer work.
- Finally, removing a menu setting is also reported to have had some success:
- Open the menu in either online mode or story mode
- Switch to the Settings tab
- Select Save and start
- If necessary, change the option on the Start page to Off
- Now choose Load into story mode
- In theory, this will launch you automatically into story mode, and you can then launch from there into online mode. Again, the reports are that this will speed up loading times for GTA V Online.
We don't know for sure how effective any of these solutions might be. But give them a try. The worst that can happen is...nothing. You'll just be waiting as long as you always used to.
Read More: GTA Online: Do You Need PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold To Play GTA Online, And Is It Free-To-Play?
What About The Standalone GTA Online?
We already know that Rockstar is planning to release a remastered version of GTA V for the new generation of hardware. Part of this overhaul includes a standalone version of GTA Online. While initially expected at the end of 2021, a recent post on the Rockstar Newswire confirmed a delay, and the release date has now been pushed back to March 2022.
This is, according to Rockstar, for polishing and fine-tuning. The game is expected to be expanded and enhanced, but further details are sketchy at best. They talk of "technical and graphical improvements". One feature they highlight is rapid switching between characters in story mode. We can but hope, that there will be similar faster load times for GTA Online when it finally arrives.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Gaming , GTA 5 , and How To pages.