The FIFA 23 "unable to save personal settings 1" error is just another example of FIFA 23 offering the greatest hits of error codes, as it goes in the pantheon of recurring classic FIFA bugs alongside the FIFA 23 store checkout error.
But, as with so many FIFA errors, there are several potential fixes that we know have worked over the years. So it's well worth revisiting these, to explain how you can fix this issue on FIFA 23. Let's kick off.
How To Fix The FIFA 23 Unable To Save Personal Settings 1 Error
This error arises when players are trying to save their personal settings in the game. Typically, it arises during Career Mode.
You'll recognise this error when you see the message, "Unable to save Personal Settings 1”. you'll be given one of three options - to retry, cancel, or continue without saving.
EA is yet to provide an explanation for why it happens, or why it hasn't been resolved even though it's been happening since at least FIFA 18.
There are a few known fixes though, which we'll cover for you. Work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Read More: FIFA 23 Memory Dump Error: How To Fix The Application Encountered An Unrecoverable Error In FIFA 23
Verify Integrity Of Game Files
Start with the obvious, and make sure that no files have been corrupted during the installation process. the process varies slightly depending on the platform you are using.
- Select My Game Library in Origin.
- Right-click on the game tile.
- Select Repair Game.
The file check can take up to an hour to complete depending on your computer's hardware.
- From the Steam Launcher, right-click on the game from the Library and select Properties from the menu.
- Select the Local files tab and click Verify integrity of game files...
- Steam will verify the game's files. This process may take several minutes.
In both cases, doing this will identify any files that are missing or damaged, and replace them.
Check for Game Updates
With many new games, bugs are almost inevitable. And while this is frustrating, it's often the case that updates quickly follow the game's release.
It's always worth checking for any game updates and installing these as soon as you can. They will often include fixes for any major issues that have been identified.
Check Your Antivirus
This solution has proven to be effective over the years. It's not uncommon for an over-enthusiastic antivirus to block FIFA 23 from running properly. In this case, the suggestion is as follows:
- Open Windows Settings
- Go to Privacy and Security > Windows Security > Virus and threat protection > Manage ransomware protection.
- From here, select Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Add an allowed app > Browse all apps.
- Next, select FIFA23.exe/FIFA23_Trial/EAAntiCheatGameServiceLauncher > Open.
If this doesn't work, try an alternate method:
- Go to Systems and Security in your Control Panel.
- Open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Finally, select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall > Change settings > Allow another app… > Browse… > select FIFA23.exe/FIFA23_Trial/EAAntiCheatGameServiceLauncher > Add.
If neither of these steps work, then it's time to move on to our next suggestion.
- Read More: FIFA 23 Anti-Cheat Error: How To Fix The "EA AntiCheat Service encountered an error. Please restart the game" Issue
Uninstall then Reinstall FIFA 23
This is obviously a much more extreme option, but if you are unable to save any progress, then perhaps you have nothing else to lose.
Simply delete FIFA 23, reinstall it, and see if this resolves the issue.
If none of these steps work, then we'd recommend contacting EA Help for further advice and support.