We often see issues with new games, and FIFA 23 lag is just another example. And lag (along with its bedfellows, stuttering and FPS drops) can seriously spoil the gaming experience.
With FIFA 23 being the final collaboration between EA and FIFA, we don't want to see the game spoiled by lag (or anyhting else for that matter). Here are our top tips, for resolving lag on FIFA 23.
How To Fix FIFA 23 Lag Issues
If you are suffering from FIFA 23 lag, then your internet connection will frwquently be the cause of the issue. Here are some things to try:
- Use a wired internet connection. Ethernet cables will generally offer a more stable internet connection than WiFi, that could see these lag spikes reduced.
- If a wired connection isn't an option, try to move your console closer to the Wi-Fi router for an improved connection.
- Also, make sure you minimise traffic on your home network. If you have other bandwidth-heavy programmes running, try to close those down, as these can contribute to lag issues.
- Check the EA servers. Sometimes, if a new updates has just rolled out, it might be that the lag issue comes from EA's end. In this case, there's little you can do aside from wait until the servers are back up and running.
Now that you've made sure your internet connection is working, there are some further troubleshooting steps you can try, if you need to.
How To Fix FIFA 23 Lag On PC
The absolute first step to take to fix FIFA 23 Lag on PC is to make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If your system isn't sufficient to cope with the demands of the game, then you are going to experience far worse problems than lag. But assuming your hardware does meet these specs, here's what to try:
- Make sure that your graphics drivers are fully up to date. You can quickly check for any updates - if you have an Intel-based system, go here. If you are on AMD, go here, and for NVIDIA, go here.
- It's also worth making sure your system software is fully up to date.
- Once everything is fully updated, if you are still experiencing issues, try to cap the FPS at 60, and see if this makes a difference. You can do this by accessing your graphics card control panel.
- Also, take a look at Vsync. In theory, Vsync is designed to synchronise your monitor's refresh rate with the frame rate of the game. But sometimes this can actually cause issues with stuttering. So if your Vsync is switched on, try turning it off, and vice versa if it's currently switched off.
- As with Vsync, full-screen mode tends to be more resource intense, but can sometimes work to improve performance. So play with fullscreen vs windowed settings, and see which way round works best for you.
- Game mode on Windows is another setting that can help or hinder you. So play with having this on and off, and see which settings work best on your system.
These are some of the main steps you can take to resolve FIFA 23 lag issues. But because we're awesome, there's more you can do, if you've attempted all of the above, and are still having issues.
Other FIFA 23 Lag Fixes on PC
As well as the steps we've mentioned already, here's more you can try to help with lag, stuttering or FPS drops on FIFA 23:
- A damaged or corrupted game file can be to blame. You can repair the game files as follows:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam.
- Next, you can either right-click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game's Library page on the far right.
- From the drop-down menu, select Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files button.
- The process will take a few minutes.
- If your computer has an SSD and an HDD, consider installing FIFA 23 on the SSD, as these are faster than HDDs.
- Close any apps or background processes that you don't need, as these will divert resources from your game.
- In addition, try giving FIFA 23 High Priority. This means more of the processing power will be devoted to it. To do this:
- Start Task Manager (Right Click on the Start Bar and select Task Manager).
- Click on the Processes tab.
- Right Click on FIFA 23 and choose Set Priority.
- You can then give the game High Priority.
- Close Task Manager.
If you've made it this far, hopefully you have reached a place of serenity, where FIFA 23 lag is no longer an issue. If you still find yourself having issues, we recommend reaching out to EA Help for further assistance. They will do their best to provide additional advice, should you need it.
Bear in mind that new games often have teething issue such as this. Sometimes theya re fixed by a software update, and sometimes as traffic stabilises, servers don't experience the same problems with player numbers. Hopefully though, FIFA 23 lag will stop being an issue for you quickly.