Fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of Dying Light 2. But for some, the wait is being extended by a frustrating Dying Light 2 Not Loading issue. For players who are suffering from this cruel twist of fate, the game is sitting there, tantalisingly within reach, but inaccessible.
Instead, these players get to enjoy the delights of an infinite loading screen. We're not saying that the Dying Light 2 loading screen is a bad one. It's a perfectly good loading screen. We just don't want to be stuck staring at that for hours on end, instead of actually playing the game we just paid for.
So if this is where you're at, then you're probably looking for some help. And that's exactly what we intend to give you. Read on, to find out exactly what you need to know about the Dying Light 2 infinite loading screen.
How To Fix Infinite Loading Screen In Dying Light 2
Before getting into the details of potential fixes for this glitch, there are some basic checks to run through first. Start by making sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If you are trying to play on a machine that isn't up to the mark, then any troubleshooting you do is likely to be insufficient to let you enjoy the game.
Also, it's important to ensure you have sufficient space on your HDD to fully install the game. If you've done these checks and made sure your computer is up to the job, here's what you can try next.
From Restarting To Uninstalling
- The first step is a simple system restart. Once it's rebooted, try launching the game again.
- Check for any pending updates. These may be updates for the game itself (there's often a patch soon after a game is released to address any issues identified at launch) or system updates. Techland has already confirmed that a new hotfix will be available very soon. You can follow them on Twitter for further updates.
- If you're on PC, check for any graphics card updates. If you have an AMD graphics card, check here. For Intel, go here and for GeForce, go here.
- Sometimes, an overzealous antivirus can be an issue. So either try adding the game to the 'safe' list on on your antivirus, or try temporarily disabling the antivirus, to see whether this makes a difference.
- If you have lots of resource-heavy processes running, try to disable as many of them as you can. You can find a helpful article explaining applications which can commonly interfere with how your game is running on Steam's website.
- Some games also work better if they are given administrator privileges. To do this:
- Go to the Dying Light 2executable file and right-click.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the box marked Run this program as an administrator.
- If you are playing via Steam, verify the integrity of the game files:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam
- Next, you can either right click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game’s Library page on the far right
- From the drop down menu, select Properties…
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files… button
- Wait for the process to finish. This usually takes several minutes.
- Try starting a new game, to see whether the issue effects a specific save file.
- Finally, as a last resort, consider uninstalling the game, and reinstalling it.
If none of these solves your issue, then contact Techland Support for further assistance.
Dying Light 2 Won't Launch
Techland has added a couple of further suggestions into the mix for PC users.
- It's possible that some missing .dll files are to blame. If file msvcr100 is missing, then download Visual Studio 2010 (VC++ 10.0)
- Alternatively, if file msvcr110 is missing, then download Visual Studio 2012 (VC++ 11.0)
- After downloading the relevant file, log out of Steam and then sign back in.
Alternatively, if you have any external devices plugged in via any of your USB ports, unplug them. This will be for things such as digital cameras and printers.
And finally, try downgrading your video driver to an older version, and see whether this resolves the problem.
What Causes The Dying Light 2 Not Loading Issue?
With this being such a new game, it isn't entirely certain what causes the loading problem. But experience tells us that problems with games loading are often due to errors that have arisen during the installation process. These can often lead to corrupt or incomplete files, which then causes the infinite loading screen.
But there are other potential causes as well. As the fixes, we suggested above indicate, problems can arise because of incompatible software versions, or problems with antivirus or other interfering software. And that's not all. Users on PS5 have reported that a corrupted save file has resulted in an infinite loading screen.
While the fixes we outlined above might work, there is a good chance that for some issues (such as a corrupted save) you will be reliant on a patch from the developers to resolve it. The good news though, is that Techland is working extremely hard on delivering hotfixes. Some have already been released, while more are in the works.