One element of Minecraft that has added to its popularity is its multiplayer function. The ability to play with friends and family and share experiences across realms has been hugely well-received. But one of the questions that crop up repeatedly is around game chat and whether or not it's possible for players in different locations to communicate, either by voice chat or even via text.
We'll have a look at what you can and can't do and see just how much Minecraft allows you to interact.
Does Minecraft have game chat?
Depending on the version of, Minecraft has integrated voice chat. These are the differences.
- Realms Chat - Realms are personal multiplayer servers that are hosted by Mojang. While in a Realm server anybody in the server can send and see messages via the chat system.
- Server Chat - Servers are personal multiplayer servers that aren’t hosted or moderated by Mojang. Multiplayer servers have also have a chat system for players to send and view messages.
- Signs - Players can use signs, which are in game items, to display text. Four lines of text can be used to communicate on signs.
- Book and Quill - Another in-game item that can be used to communicate or write text down for later.
These options are available for Minecraft: Bedrock edition and Java edition.
How to use voice chat on PS4, Xbox and PC
Regardless of which platform you are using, there are options that'lll allow you to enjoy voice chat while playing Minecraft. You can take various approaches, but generally, it will involve using a separate app or a game modification.
There are many different options, but something such as Discord is an example. Programs such as this will offer a voice channel you can use alongside Minecraft. You can then communicate in real time with your friends whilst playing. This has the added benefit of allowing you to communicate across platforms. So even if you are on different consoles, you can still chat. If you're all using the same platform, then there are some specific tools you can utilise. We'll look at those next.
Xbox and Windows PC
Because both these platforms are owned and operated by Microsoft, the big benefit is that they can use the same programs. In this case, you can use Xbox Party Chat, whether you are on an Xbox or your PC. To start a party on your Xbox:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then select Parties & chats > Start a party.
- Select Invite more.
- Choose the friends you want to invite.
- Select Invite selected people.
If you're using a PC, you need to download the Xbox Game Bar for your computer. We have a bit more guidance on that here.
Minecraft PS4 & PS5
If you want to start a chat on your PS4, you need to do the following:
- From the PS4 home screen, press up to reach the function screen > Party > Start Party.
- Select Create Group or select an existing group from the dropdown list to join.
- Choose your group name, select the privacy settings and Add Players to invite friends to join your party.
This will allow you and your friends on PlayStation to play Minecraft together while also enjoying voice interaction.
And there you have it. You can overcome Minecraft's lack of voice chat and connect with your friends in a few different ways. The options we've mentioned cover you whether you are all on the same platform or trying to play on different devices.
What if Minecraft's in-game chat isn't working?
Minecraft's native communication only extends to text-based chat; however, there are frequent reports from players that this doesn't always work.
If that is the case for you, here are some steps you can take to make it work:
- Make sure you haven't accidentally muted chat.
- Open the chat screen and check the toggle in the upper right to verify or change the chat settings.
- If it redirects you to privacy settings, it could mean that either the person you're trying to chat with has settings that prevent communication or your own settings are causing the issue.
- Go to your privacy settings and ensure that your and the other person's settings are the same.