Destiny 2 fans have been eagerly waiting for the latest instalment of the game, The Witch Queen. But that wait may be going on a little longer for players who are suffering fromThe Witch Queen installation error.
The good news is that it's unlikely to be malevolent witchcraft that is causing this issue. We'll explain exactly what might be going on, and the options available to you, should you encounter this problem. And you won't need to harm any Newts in the process.
How To Fix The Witch Queen Installation Error
Unfortunately, the specific causes of an installation error can be difficult to pin down. But there are some general tips that are well worth trying, as they are known to resolve these types of issues. Before you get into anything more detailed, start by making sure your system meets the minimum requirements for the game. These are as follows:
- A 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows® 7 / Windows® 8.1 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 3250 3.5 GHz or Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz / AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 2GB or GTX 1050 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 105 GB available space
If your system isn't capable of meeting these requirements, then you are always going to run into problems. But if you meet or exceed these benchmarks, here's what to try next.
Steps To Try
- Regardless of the platform you are on, the first thing to try is a good old-fashioned system reboot. Shut down your PC or console, leave it off for a few minutes, then crank it back up again.
- In some cases, an installation error is the result of an external hard-drive. This is most common on consoles. In this scenario, uninstalling the game from the external drive, disconnecting that drive, and then installing the game on the built-in hard drive, usually fixes the problem.
- If you are on PC, installation errors can also occur if there is an issue with one of the files. You can verify the integrity of the game files to see if this was the issue. To do this:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam
- Next, you can either right click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game’s Library page on the far right
- From the drop down menu, select Properties…
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files… button
- Sit and wait for the process to complete. It usually takes several minutes.
- If you're trying to play on console, simply uninstall the game, and try installing it again.
If you've tried all of these remedies, but you're still having no joy, then we'd recommend reaching out to Bungie Support to see if they can offer any further assistance. You can also reach them on their official Twitter feed @BungieHelp.
What Is The Witch Queen Installation Error?
As the name suggests, this is an error that occurs during the installation process, and is preventing players from playing the game. With this game being so new, it is almost impossible to pinpoint exactly why this is happening. But given the wide range of possible fixes (which we know work for other games when this problem has arisen) it's possible there are multiple possible explanations for it.
Another possibility is that the developers will need to release a patch in order to stop this from happening. Day one fixes are increasingly common, so keep your eye peeled for any game updates that become available after the game is released, and install them as soon as you can.
If there is an underlying cause that Bungie can identify, expect them to resolve it as a matter of urgency. But in the meantime, our solutions are your best bet for overcoming The Witch Queen installation error.