Unlike the PS4, the PS5 does not come with an optical audio port, so if you want to connect speakers to PS5, it is not as simple as plugging them straight into your console.
We also know that Bluetooth headsets need a bit of work before you can use them with your PlayStation 5, which means that Bluetooth speakers are in a similar position. But what about other speakers? What can we do with soundbars, or stereo equipment?
Here are some possibilities, to help boost your audio experience.
How to connect speakers to PS5
As we've already highlighted, the PS5 doesn't have an optical audio port.
Apparently, there just wasn't enough usage for it, to justify having it on the new console. You can, however, make use of the HDMI ports, by using something called an HDMI Audio Extractor.
This sits between the console and the TV, and you can connect your HDMI cable from your PS5, and then connect an Optical cable to the Audio Extractor. The Optical cable can then be connected to your speakers.
How to Connect a Soundbar to PS5
Another audio option you may have is a soundbar. Even a basic soundbar will offer an enhanced experience over the speakers that are in-built to your television. These will offer deeper bass, richer sound effects, and generally make the soundtrack or sound effects on your game really come alive. Depending on your equipment, you have a couple of options:
- You can plug the soundbar into the PS5 using an HDMI port, and then connect the soundbar to the television via another HDMI cable.
- Alternatively, you can connect your PS5 to your television via HDMI, then connect the soundbar using an optical cable.
Set up Surround Sound for PS5
You may have gone to the other extreme, and got yourself an all-singing surround sound system, with speakers strategically located around the room. If so, you'll need to tweak some settings on your console, in order to get the full experience:
- Go to Settings > Sound > Audio Output > HDMI Device Type
- Set the device to AV Amplifier. Don't choose Sound Bar. Trust us.
- Select the number of speakers you have.
- You can then Adjust Speaker Positions to match the setup in your room.
- Finally, choose your Audio Format (Priority).
- If you have plugged your PS5 directly into your soundbar or receiver via HDMI, you need to choose Linear PCM.
- If you have your PS5 connected to your TV, and this is passing the signal to your speakers, then choose Dolby or DTS.
Connect Bluetooth Speakers to PS5
If you want to connect some wireless speakers to your PS5, you won't be able to do that directly. Instead, you'll need to look at getting your hands on a Bluetooth adapter.
If you have one of these, then plug it into one of the USB ports on your PS5. Then switch it on to pair it. Next, complete the following steps:
- On your PS5, go to Settings.
- Choose Accessories. You should see your Bluetooth adapter appear here.
- Select the adapter to connect it to your PS5.
- Once you've completed this, pair your Bluetooth speaker to your adapter. Commonly, this can be done via a pairing button on the adapter or speaker, or via a smartphone app.
- Finally, once all parts are connected, set your Bluetooth adapter as the chosen audio option on your PS5:
- Go to Settings > Sound Settings
- Select Audio Output > Output Device
- Choose your adapter
These are just the main ways of connecting speakers to your PlayStation 5, and really getting the most out of the audio aspect of any games you are playing.