Battlefield 2042 lag issues are highly frustrating. While it's perhaps inevitable that a new game is going to experience a few issues, stuttering and lag can go a long way to spoiling the gaming experience. Especially in a game where reaction times can make the difference between life and death.
If you're tired of always losing because you are always a step behind what's actually happening, then you need to read this. Here's how to fix Battlefield 2042 lag and stuttering issues. With the new season - Zero Hour - about to land, it's important to be prepared to give yourself the best possible performance.
How To Fix BF 2042 Stuttering Issues And Stop Lag
Before embarking on any other troubleshooting steps, the first thing to do is to ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game. If it doesn't, then it's always likely that you are going to run into some performance issues, as your device struggles to cope with the demands of Battlefield. But assuming you do have a computer that meets those basic requirements, here's what we recommend trying next:
- Make sure that your system software and graphics drivers are fully up to date. If you use AMD, you can check for updates here. If you are on NVIDIA, go here. And for Intel, click here.
- Make sure your internet connection is as stable as possible. If you're on WiFi, consider switching to a wired Ethernet connection if possible. This will almost alwyas improve the stability of your connection.
- You can also try to fix Battlefield 2042 lag issues by minimising the other traffic on your network. Close down other apps and devices that may be competing for bandwidth.
- Try testing the difference between windowed mode and full-screen mode. Full-screen mode tends to require more resource to run, but occasionally works the other way, and actually boosts performance.
- Check your V-Sync settings. In theory, V-Sync works to synchronise your monitor refresh rate with the frame rate of the game. Sometimes it causes more problems than it solves. So try turning it on (or off) and see whether this improves matters.
- If refresh rates seem to be an issue, try capping your frame rate at 60 FPS, to see if this helps.
- As with V-Sync, Game mode can also help improve performance on your PC. But occasionally, it actually reduces performance. Try comparing performance with it on and off, and see which is better.
As you can see, there are several different steps you can try, in the hope of resolving lag and stuttering issues on Battlefield 2042. But we aren't done there, oh no. There are some more potential fixes worth trying if you are still having problems.
Other Steps To Try
As well as all the steps we outlined earlier, we have a few more rolls of the dice to play:
- Don't overclock your GPU. While overclocking turns it all the way up to 11, it also risks damaging your hardware.
- Give Battlefield 2042 High Priority. This emans that more of the computer resource will be allocated to the game while it is being played, helping improve performance. To do this:
- Open Task Manager
- Click the Processes tab
- Right Click on Battlefield.exe
- Set Priority to High
- If you are using Steam, disable the Steam Overlay. If applciable, you can also disable the GeForce Experience Overlay, and the Windows Game Bar.
- While we're on the subject of Steam, sometimes issues can be caused by issues with damaged or corrupted game files. You can repair the game files by doing the following:
- You can repair the game files as follows:Restart your computer and launch Steam
- Next, you can either right click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game’s Library page on the far right
- From the drop down menu, select Propertie
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files… button
- The process takes a little while to complete.
- If you can, install the game on your SSD rather than your HDD, as this will be faster.
It's worth bearing in mind that some issues will be the result of this being a new game. Players will be clamouring to play, and the servers will also be under strain as a result. Hopefully, as the servers are scaled to meet demand, Battlefield 2042 lag and stuttering issues will start to reduce.