With the latest season of Fortnite upon us, it brings with it the usual set of teething problems. One such troublesome tooth is Error Code 85. Fortnite Error Code 85 is a bit of an odd one. Players have been reporting this error, but there seems to be very little definitive information on what it is, what causes it, or how to solve it.
This means, inevitably, it's up to us to dive in headfirst and try to provide all the information we can on Error Code 85. So if you've been suffering from this error, and found it impossible to get any meaningful answers from the internet, we'll do our best to change that. Here's what we know about Error Code 85.
How to fix Fortnite Error Code 85
Because of the limited information about Error Code 85 - Epic Games have nothing about it on their support pages - we have pieced together the best suggestions we can. Here's what we recommend you do:
- Start by checking the Fortnite server status by going here. It's perfectly possible that there is an issue with the game server, that could be throwing this error your way. If that's the case, you'll have to wait for the server to get sorted before you can start playing again.
- Assuming the server is working, the next thing to try is the tried-and-trusted, "turn something off and on again". Close down the game, restart your device, and try again.
- You can also try restarting your router, in case there are any issues with internet connectivity at your end.
- Make sure all your software is fully up to date, and that there is nothing pending.
- The final option, should you be willing to try, is to uninstall the game, and then reinstall it.
If none of these tips work, then it's worth contacting Epic Games by clicking this link.
Read More: Fortnite: How to fix Easy Anti-Cheat error for Chapter 2 Season 7
Everything we know about this issue
As we said in our introduction, Fortnite Error Code 85 seems to be lurking in the shadows at the moment. But we can offer some ideas around what seems to be causing the issue.
When we look at other Fortnite error codes, we know that Error Code 83, and Error Code 86 are both errors related to parties. Whether that's creating a party, or communicating with others in said party. So there's a strong possibility that Error Code 85 is part of the same family of errors.
Read More: Fortnite: How to fix an unexpected error occurred on Xbox One and Xbox Series X
While we can't be certain what the causes are, the solutions we've outlined above are your best bet for getting around this. For the time being at least. We can but hope that the makers of Fortnite can make the necessary tweaks to stop this from affecting gamers.