Updates are a normal part of modern Call of Duty games, but a Warzone Update Error is most definitely not normal. If your game has got stuck while checking for updates, it will undoubtedly cause you no end of irritation. But instead of getting so angry you feel compelled to write a strongly worded letter to your local political representative, why not read our article first?
We'll tell you what you can do in order to get past this pernicious sticking point. Here's everything you need to know, in order to overcome a Warzone Update Error.
How To Fix Call of Duty: Warzone Stuck On Checking For Update
Work your way through the following solutions, hopefully at least one of them is going to do the job for you:
- Start by restarting your internet connection. Turn off your router for a few minutes, before rebooting it.
- Likewise, close down Warzone, reboot your device, and then relaunch the game.
- The next step is to scan and repair the game files. To do this:
- Go to Battle.net
- Sign in to your account, and select Warzone.
- Go to Options, and then select Scan and Repair.
- Click on Begin Scan.
- Wait a few minutes for this process to complete.
- Make sure all your software is fully up to date.
- Even though checking for updates is what's caused this error in the first place, manually checking for updates may actually be an effective solution:
- On Battle.net, sign in and select Warzone.
- Click on the gear icon next to Play
- Select Check for Updates
- If you are still struggling, the next stage is to temporarily disable your firewall, or make sure that the Battle.net client is on the approved list, so that the firewall isn't blocking it.
- Our next suggestion is to clear the cache. Users have reported three potential cache folders that are worth clearing, within the Battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment folders. You can find these by pressing Win+R, and then typing the following:
- Once you've found these, right click on each one and press delete. Then relaunch your game, and see if it's working.
- Activision have provided additional guidance on clearing your console's cache here. They emphasise that you may have to clear your console cache "multiple times" before trying to reload the game.
If none of theses fixes is helping, then get n touch with Activision Support for further assistance. But do we know why this is happening?
What causes the Warzone Update Error?
At this point, things remain a little unclear, as to why the Warzone Update Error exists. Activision have acknowledged it as a known issue, although only in reference to PS4 and Xbox One. As far as they can ascertain:
the game appears to be uninstalling and reinstalling game data.
This may be the reason for the update error, and explain why people are getting stuck in the endless update zone. Their own advice centres around clearing the cache. But give all our suggestions a try, and soon you'll be back in action.