Dev Error 5476 is one of those issues that we thought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone had finally managed to eliminate, like Smallpox. But as we all know by now, a COD update is almost inevitably followed by an increase in errors and other irritating issues.
So today, we'll take a look at the stubbornly resurgent Dev Error 5476. Specifically, what it is, and how you can address it, in the hope that it will go away for good this time. Let's get going.
How to fix Dev Error 5476 in Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Warzone
We'll start with the usual, obvious recommendations when you receive an error message:
- Start by closing the game down and restart your device
- You can also, if you are using Steam, verify the integrity of your game files. This is useful in case a corrupted file is responsible for causing this error. To do this:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam
- From a game's library page, select Manage > Properties.
- Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files... button.
- Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
- If these fixes don't work, then you can restart your router.
- One additional fix that users have reported as being effective, is to change your calling card and emblem. For many users, changing from "randomised" to something specific does seem to have worked. Quite why this might be true, is unclear. But it's worth trying. For this:
- Navigate to Multiplayer > Barracks > Customisation > Identity
- Choose Calling Cards and select one.
- Rinse and repeat for Emblems.
- Last, and by no means least, is the option we always leave to the end, because it is the "when all else fails" Hail Mary. Uninstalling and then reinstalling can resolve some COD errors, so if you are desperate, it is worth trying.
If absolutely nothing is working, then you can always report your issues to Activision here. The more people who do this, the better the chances of a resolution when a patch is released.
Read More: Warzone Memory Error 19-1793: How to Fix Memory Error In Call of Duty Modern Warfare/Warzone
What is Dev Error 5476?
Despite this being a recurring error, it still isn't entirely clear what causes this error. We do know that it seems to afflict players on multiple platforms. It manifests by preventing players from joining lobbies. The best guess? Given that changing your emblem and calling card seems to fix this, it may suggest an error in the way the server is communicating with individual gamer profiles.
This error has appeared before. We know lots of players had problems with it in the lead up to the release of Black Ops: Cold War, before a patch eventually resolved the problem. We also saw it again after an update to Black Ops: Cold War and Warzone in December 2020. Again, a patch seemed to make this disappear. So we have to hope that after the latest update, another patch will be forthcoming, to make it go away once again.
Read More: Warzone Error Code Diver: How To Fix Warzone Error Code 6 in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone
For more articles like this, take a look at our Call Of Duty , Gaming , and How To pages.