ChatGPT does have an app for iOS, but is there an official ChatGPT app for Android?
Following the introduction of the ChatGPT 4 model and the implementation of ChatGPT plugins, OpenAI took a step forward by launching an official ChatGPT app for iOS users.
But if you are an Android user and have been aching to get your AI experience on the go, then let's find out all about the ChatGPT app for Android.
Is there a ChatGPT app for Android?
At the moment, there isn't an official ChatGPT app for Android, but the developers are working on it.
During the announcement of the introduction of the ChatGPT app for iOS on 18 May 2023, OpenAI revealed that ChatGPT would be coming to Android as well.
We will expect, though, the developers to not take very long to develop an app that will take most (if not all) of the more appreciated features of the ChatGPT experience on the go, for both Android and iOS.
How to use ChatGPT on Android
While there is no official ChatGPT app for Android, there are numerous third-party apps that incorporate ChatGPT's natural language processing capabilities through OpenAI's APIs.
However, we recommend accessing the ChatGPT website via your browser as these third-party apps could be unreliable and spammy. Here is how you can use ChatGPT on Android:
- Open a web browser and go to chat.openai.com.
- Log in with your OpenAI credentials if you are not already logged in.
- You are now ready to use ChatGPT just like on the desktop.
Clearly, while the mobile browser might not really be the most efficient use of your device, it definitely works and the experience is the same as the one on your desktop browser.
Alternatives to the ChatGPT app for Android
Still, if you're looking to get an app, rather than visit the mobile version of the website, there are still a couple of alternative apps that use the same OpenAI conversational model as ChatGPT.
We will list only apps that provide a free experience, even though they might have ads or in-app purchases, so be aware. We recommend the following alternative apps:
- Alissu: This app is not only free but requires no login. Just download it and you're ready to use it, with the same features as ChatGPT.
- Rapid ChatGPT: Featuring a WhatsApp-like interface, this app is also free but requires you to be registered.
- Nova: The app is also free, requiring registration but having many useful features such as chat history and multi-language support.
We will update this guide as soon as an official ChatGPT Android app has been made available. In the meantime, we are sure that our alternatives will definitely fit your on-the-go needs.