If you're switching to a new device or upgrading your smartphone, it is important to transfer Signal messages to your new phone and keep your conversations intact.
Signal, renowned as the most secure secure messaging app, is the top choice for those valuing privacy and data protection. While Signal prioritizes privacy, it also lets you effortlessly transfer your accounts and messages to your new phone for added convenience
In this guide, we'll walk you through the step-by-step process to transfer Signal messages to a new phone, whether it's an Android or iPhone.
How to transfer Signal messages to a new phone
To transfer Signal messages to a new phone, ensure both your old and new devices have the latest Signal version. Then, select 'Transfer or restore account' and follow the on-screen instructions.
Below we will discuss the detailed process to Signal messages to a new iPhone or Android phone. Before you begin transferring messages, ensure that both phones have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled, and that they are placed close.
How to transfer Signal messages to a new iPhone
- On your new device, install and open Signal, and complete registration, if prompted.
- Select "Transfer from iOS Device" and select "Next" (linked iPad/iPhone only) to see a QR code.
- On your old device, select "Next" and physically move it to scan the QR code on your new device.
- Wait for the transfer to complete.
How to transfer Signal messages to a new Android phone
- On the new phone, install Signal > select Transfer or restore account > enable permissions > select Transfer from Android device > Continue.
- On the old phone, go to Signal Settings > Account > Transfer account > Continue.
- Physically move the new phone near the old phone and accept the alert on the new phone.
- Confirm the 7-digit code matches on both phones and select "Continue" on each phone.
- On the new phone, tap "Continue registration" and register the device.
- On the old phone, tap "Done" to complete.
Once the transfer is completed, your message history is deleted from your old device. Your new device will become the primary device for that account, and the old device will no longer have access to the Signal account or messages unless you transfer it back in the future.
Can you transfer Signal messages from iPhone to Android?
While Signal allows Android-to-Android and iPhone-to-iPhone transfer of accounts and messages, it is currently not possible to transfer Signal messages from iPhone to Android or vice versa due to compatibility issues.
And that covers everything you should know about transferring Signal messages to your new phone. Btw are you sure you are using every feature of the Signal app? If not, check how to use Signal in 2023.