We aren't mind readers, but if you are reading this, then chances are you want to know how to recover deleted messages on Instagram.
Have you ever deleted an Instagram chat and then regretted it later? It could be worse, your Instagram account might have been deleted. We know it is possible to see deleted messages on Discord, but can you do the same on Instagram?
Luckily, there are some ways to recover deleted messages on Instagram, and in this post, we are going to show them to you. Keep reading to find out!
How To Recover Deleted Messages On Instagram
All the chats that you have deleted on Instagram will be available on the Instagram server - except the "unsend" messages. And there is an official way to retrieve them. If you delete a chat by mistake, then you can view or restore it by requesting your data.
Here are the steps to view and recover deleted messages on Instagram:
- On your browser, navigate to https://www.instagram.com, then sign in to your account.
- Right-click your profile icon located in the top right corner of the screen, then select Settings from the menu.
- Choose the Privacy and Security option from the menu on the left of the screen.
- Scroll down and click on the Request Download option under the Data Download header.
- Now choose HTML as your download format, then click Next.
- Verify your identity by entering your password, then click Request Download.
- Instagram will email a link to a file with your requested information. It can take up to 14 days to collect this data and send it to you. However, in most cases, you will get them within 30 minutes.
- Once you receive the email from Instagram, click on the Download information button to download. You will be asked to log in to your Instagram account.
- You will now be able to download the data by clicking Download information. The file will start to download.
- Once downloaded, unzip the folder and go to “messages > inbox > [named folder],” then open the “chats.html" file.
- Just scour through the file and you will find all the persons you have chatted with. Tap on their names to read the conversation.
Note that your file doesn't include messages that you've unsent from your Instagram account. It is also worth mentioning that the link sent to you in the email expires 4 days after you receive it. So, if you open the link after four days of receiving the email, it won’t work, and you’ll need to request data again - after 14 days.
- Read More: How To Turn Off Suggested Posts On Instagram
An Alternate Way To Recover Deleted Messages On Instagram
Since the official method may take up to 14 days, you can use another way to recover deleted messages on Instagram - if you are really desperate.
You can recover deleted Instagram messages using third-party data recovery software. FoneLab is one of the commonly used tools to view and recover deleted messages on Instagram and other data ( like contacts, notes, calendars, photos, music, movies, etc.)
The tool work by accessing the cache files on your iOS or Android device to retrieve the deleted messages. You can find detailed instructions on how to recover deleted messages on Instagram via FoneLab on this website. However, this is a third-party application, so we'd recommend caution about using any unofficial products.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Apps page.