Wondering how to message on TikTok? We have got you covered.
Although TikTok doesn't have read receipts as of now, TikTok direct messaging or DM offers all the other basic features of texting, which include the ability to send videos, photos, and GIFs.
How To Message On TikTok On The App
Unlike Facebook and Instagram, TikTok only allows you to send messages to your friends. In other words, you can message someone on TikTok only if you both follow each other. With that in mind, here is how to message on TikTok through the app.
- Tap Inbox at the bottom of your screen.
- If you have recent messages, tap the name below Messages to send a direct message.
- If you follow someone and they follow you back, tap the direct message icon in the top right, then tap their name to send a direct message.
Alternatively, you can go to the Profile of the person you wish to send a message to and tap Message to send a direct message. It is worth mentioning that you will not be able to send a direct message to someone who has their DM privacy setting set to No one - even if you follow each other.
Read More: How To Auto-Scroll On TikTok
How To Message On TikTok On Chrome PC
As mentioned earlier, you can send DMs on TikTok on your PC via web browsers such as Chrome, Edge or Firefox. Keep in mind that you can message someone on TikTok only if you both follow each other. Here's how to message on TikTok on PC.
- Login to your TikTok account on your PC.
- Tap the Direct Message (a paper plane) icon in the top right.
- Direct messages are displayed under the Messages header in the left pane with the most recent at the top.
- If you follow someone and they follow you back, tap the direct message icon, then tap their name to send a direct message.
Alternatively, if you follow someone and they follow you back, you can go to their Profile and tap Message to send a direct message.
How To Message On TikTok If You Are Under 16
Unfortunately, TikTok direct messaging or DM is only available to registered account holders aged 16 and older. Users under 16 are not allowed to use the TikTok duet or stitch features.
Moreover, they cannot have public accounts and are not allowed to go live on TikTok. So, if you are under 16, the best thing you can do is to wait until you turn 16. Of course, you can try to change your age on TikTok, but we don't recommend it.
Why Can't I Message People On TikTok?
There are several reasons you can't message people on TikTok. Some of them are:
- You are under 16.
- You are not friends with the person you are trying to message.
- You haven't registered your phone number in the app.
- Your content or message has been flagged or reported.
- Your account is temporarily suspended (shadowban).
- They have their DM privacy setting set to No one.
In case you have been shadowbanned on TikTok, you can try to get unshadowbanned. Alternatively, if you are banned from the platform, you can take the steps to get your TikTok account unbanned. The chances of getting your ban removed are slim, but it is worth the shot.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Apps page.