If you don’t want everyone on Snapchat to know what's going on with you, you can make your Snapchat account private.
Not everyone likes to flaunt their lives on social media, and that’s totally fine. If you’re someone who wants to keep your personal life private, you can make your Snapchat account private. However, unlike Instagram, a single toggle doesn't make your account private.
To make your Snapchat account private, you’ll have to go through a few steps. We will walk you through each step of the process. Let's get started!
How To Make Your Snapchat Account Private
When your Snapchat account is private, only your friends can communicate with you, receive your Snaps, and see your Stories. If you want to make your Snapchat account private, follow these steps:
- Tap the gear icon in the Profile screen to open Settings.
- Scroll down to the Who Can… section and tap Contact Me. Make sure it is set to My Friends.
- Then, go back and click on View My Story and set it to Friends Only. If you want to block specific friends from seeing your Story, tap Custom and select their names.
- Now, go to the previous menu and select See My Location. By default, only your friends can see your location. But you can tweak the settings to block some friends from seeing your location or making your location visible to only selected friends. You can enable Ghost Mode if you don't want to share your location with no friends at all.
- Finally, go back again and tap See Me in Quick Add. Uncheck the option, if you don't wish to appear in other Snapchat users' Quick Add.
That's how it is done! Enjoy the privacy! On another note, did you know that text messages or group chat interactions on Snapchat aren't end-to-end encrypted?
How To Make A Private Story On Snapchat
As you might know, Private Stories on Snapchat let you select the people you want to view your Stories. It is similar to the Close Friends feature on Instagram, where only the friends added to your friend's list will be able to see your content.
If you want to make a Private Story on Snapchat, follow these steps:
- Open Snapchat and tap on your profile icon.
- Then, tap Private Story and select the people who will have access to your Private Story.
- Once you have added people, click on Create Story.
- Finally, name your story and hit Save.
That's it! You have created a Private Story. It will be available under the My Story section and whenever you want to post something to the people in that particular group, you can simply select that Private Story, record your Story and post it.